Normally, Late Night with Seth Meyers’ A Closer Look focuses on only a few topics. Last night, he mentioned the biggest political stories of the past week.
“A Closer Look,” as a segment, typically spends a few minutes per topic. Seth Meyers, however, and his writing team had the benefits of taping just after last night’s big story broke. Last night, the New York Times reported that the now fired FBI director, James Comey, had written down the details of a conversation he had with Donald Trump about the investigation into Michael Flynn.
But Meyers hadn’t forgotten the other major news stories that had dropped in the last week.
Here’s his “Closer Look” from last night. (The content contains two bleeped out words, a few uses of “WTF” as an acronym, and one word with a couple of letters replaced by asterisks.)
Here’s his rundown of the week. Although he didn’t cite sources, we’ll provide some context:
- NBC News reported May 8 on Barack Obama’s telling Trump about Michael Flynn.
- We here at Culturess discussed Comey’s firing on May 9, citing, among others, ABC News.
- A week ago, CNN had a story on the meeting with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.
- Last week Thursday, May 11, NBC’s Lester Holt interviewed Trump. CNN picked up on Trump’s mentioning the Russia issue impacting the Comey firing.
- Friday, NPR noted the tweet about the possible existence of tapes.
- By that same day and going into May 13, Politico started reporting that interviews were taking place Saturday.
- Sunday, though Meyers originally skipped it, Vanity Fair cited reports that said Trump did go golfing that day.
- Monday, the Washington Post broke the story about the meeting with Kislyak also involving classified info.
That brings us back to yesterday and the Times’ story. As you can see in the above video, even Meyers seems a little exasperated with just how much has gone on, although he still makes plenty of funny comparisons.
Late Night with Seth Meyers airs weeknights on NBC.